Frequently Asked Questions and Possible Concerns About the Study
Click on those questions you wish to read the responses to.
Question: If I participate in this study, is my information protected from people other than the research team using it?
Yes. We are committed to protecting your privacy. Here is how we will ensure your privacy is protected:
- The information you submit is stored on a secured server. Our servers meet HIPAA Privacy Rule protections (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
- Our servers are maintained by the Information and Technology Communication staff at the University of Virginia Health System who continually assess our network structure to make sure we are using the latest software in security technology.
- Only a few authorized research staff have access to these servers. We strictly limit who can access the data and only those researchers intimately involved with our programs are included. All individuals have completed our Institutional Review Board (IRB) trainings.
- All studies in which our Internet interventions are involved have been reviewed and approved by the University of Virginia IRB as required by federal regulations regarding human research studies. The primary role of the IRB is to protect the safety and welfare of human participants.
- We have a Certificate of Confidentiality from the federal government which further protects your study records from being shared with anyone outside the research study.
You will find more information about privacy protections in the study Consent Form.
Question: Will participating in this study restrict my driving privileges or increase my insurance rates?
Question: Could the results from this research be used to reduce driving restrictions against people with diabetes?
Yes. Policy makers use information from research projects, like this, to make or change laws. Currently, all drivers who take insulin are not permitted to drive large commercial trucks across state lines. Additionally, different states have different restrictions concerning drivers with diabetes. The currrent research could demonstrate:
- That all drivers with Type 1 diabetes are not at a high risk of future driving collisions.
- That drivers with Type 1 diabetes can lower their risk of driving collisions.
Question: How much time will the Internet program take?
Response: If you are assigned to participate in the Internet program, you can expect to spend about an hour each week on program activities.
Question: How can I use the Amazon.com Gift Cards* I will be given for participating?
Response: Participants will receive Amazon.com Gift Cards* as outlined on the consent form. Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed towards millions of items at Amazon. * Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon, Amazon.com, the Amazon.com logo, and the Amazon Gift Cards logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com Gift Cards (GCs) may be used only for purchases of eligible goods on Amazon.com or its affiliated website Endless.com. GCs cannot be redeemed for purchases of gift cards. Except as required by law, GCs cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash, or applied to any other account. See www.amazon.com/gc-legal for complete terms and conditions. GCs are issued and ©2011 by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation.